Carlos Ruiz, Profesor Titular (Associate Professor) at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M), Department of Statistics. He received his B.S. in Industrial Engineering (2007) from the Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha and his PhD in Electrical Engineering from the Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (2012) under the supervision of Professor Antonio J. Conejo. He has been a postdoctoral researcher at Supélec and École Centrale (Paris, France) and at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (2013-2014).
My research interest includes almost everything that may lie in the intersection of Operations Research, Analytics and Energy Systems. The main mathematical and OR tools that I am using or developing include:
- Single and multi-objective programming problems. Linear, nonlinear and mixed-integer.
- Robust optimization.
- Stochastic programming.
- Inverse optimization.
- Multi-stage optimization problems. Bilevel, trilevel, etc.
- Duality and complementarity modeling.
- Agent based models.
- Inverse optimization.
- ARIMA, Regression, SVM and clustering models.
The main energy systems' topics that are being addressed by using these mathematical tools are:
- Modeling and characterization of oligopolistic behaviors in the electricity market.
- Generation capacity expansion planning.
- Transmission expansion planning of the electricity network.
- Pricing non-convexities in the electricity market.
- Supply chain coordination within the electricity industry.
- Integration and operation of Smart grid technologies.
- Reliability of transmission and distribution systems.
- Demand load, renewable and price forecasting in energy systems.
- S. A. Gabriel, A. J. Conejo, J. D. Fuller, B. Hobbs and C. Ruiz, Complementarity Modeling in Energy Markets, International Series in Operations Research and Management Science, Springer, 2013.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo, and R García-Bertrand. Some analytical results pertaining to Cournot models for short-term electricity markets. Electric Power Systems Research, 78(10):1672-1678, Oct. 2008.
- C. Ruiz and A. J. Conejo. Pool strategy of a producer with endogenous formation of locational marginal prices. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems , 24(4):1855-1866, Nov. 2009.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo, and R. Arcos. Some analytical results on conjectural variation models for short-term electricity markets. IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, 4(2):257-267, Feb. 2010.
- S. J. Kazempour, A. J. Conejo, and C. Ruiz. Strategic generation investment using a complementarity approach. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 26(2):940-948, May. 2011.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo and S. J. Kazempour. Equilibria in futures and spot electricity markets. Electric Power Systems Research, 84(1):1-9, March 2012.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo and Y. Smeers. Equilibria in an oligopolistic electricity pool with stepwise offer curves. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(2):752-761, May 2012.
- S. J. Kazempour, A. J. Conejo, and C. Ruiz. Strategic generation investment considering futures and spot markets. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(3):1467-1476, Aug. 2012.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo and S. A. Gabriel. Pricing non-convexities in an electricity pool. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(3):1334-1342, Aug. 2012.
- S. A. Gabriel, S. Siddiqui, A. J. Conejo and C. Ruiz. Solving discretely-constrained Nash-Cournot games with an application to power markets. Networks and Spatial Economics, 13(3):307-326, Sept. 2013.
- S. A. Gabriel, A. J. Conejo, C. Ruiz and S. Siddiqui. Solving discretely-constrained, mixed-linear complementarity problems with applications in energy. Computers and Operations Research, 40(5):1339-1350, May 2013.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo and D. J. Bertsimas. Revealing rival offer prices via inverse optimization. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 28(3):3056-3064, Aug. 2013.
- S. J. Kazempour, A. J. Conejo and C. Ruiz. Generation investment equilibria with strategic producers – Part I. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 28(3):2613-2622, Aug. 2013.
- S. J. Kazempour, A. J. Conejo and C. Ruiz. Generation investment equilibria with strategic producers – Part II. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 28(3):2623-2631, Aug. 2013.
- F. Oliveira, C. Ruiz and A. J. Conejo. Contract design and supply chain coordination in the electricity industry. European Journal of Operational Research, 227(3):527–537, Jun. 2013.
- E. Kuznetsova, Y. Li, C. Ruiz, E. Zio, K. Bell and G. Ault. Reinforcement learning for microgrid energy management. Energy. 59(2013):133-146, Jul. 2013.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo, J. D. Fuller, S. A. Gabriel and B. F. Hobbs. A tutorial review of complementarity models for decision making in energy markets. EURO Journal on Decision Processes, 2(1):91-120, Jun. 2014.
- E. Kuznetsova, Y. Li, C. Ruiz, E. Zio. An integrated framework of agent-based modelling and robust optimization for microgrid energy management. Applied Energy, 129:70-88, Sep. 2014.
- R. Mena, M. Hennebel, Y. Li, C. Ruiz, E. Zio. A Risk-Based Simulation and Multi-Objective Optimization Framework for the Integration of Distributed Renewable Generation and Storage. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 37(2014): 778–793.
- J. Kazempour, C. Ruiz and A. J. Conejo. Strategic Bidding for a Large Consumer. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 30(2):848-856, March 2015.
- E. Kuznetsova, C. Ruiz, Y.-F. Li, and E. Zio. Analysis of robust optimization for decentralized microgrid energy management under uncertainty. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 64(2015): 815-832. Jan. 2015.
- C. Ruiz and A. J. Conejo. Robust Transmission Expansion Planning. European Journal of Operational Research, 242(2015): 390-401.
- E. Allevi, A. J. Conejo, G. Oggioni, R. Riccardi, and C. Ruiz. Evaluating the strategic behavior of cement producers: An equilibrium problem with equilibrium constraints. European Journal of Operational Research, 264(2): 717-731, Jan. 2018.
- C. Ruiz, F. J. Nogales and F. J. Prieto. Retail Equilibrium with Switching Consumers in Electricity Markets. Networks and Spatial Economics. 18(1):145-180, March 2018.
- P. Falbo and C. Ruiz. Optimal sales-mix and generation plan in a two-stage electricity market. Energy Economics. 78(2019):598-814, Jan. 2019.
- A. Naebi, S. SeyedShenava, J. Contreras, C. Ruiz and A. Akbarimajd. EPEC approach for finding optimal day-ahead bidding strategy equilibria of multi-microgrids in active distribution networks. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 17(2020): 1-14. May 2020.
- A. M. Alonso, F. J. Nogales and C. Ruiz. Hierarchical Clustering for Smart Meter Electricity Loads Based on Quantile Autocovariances. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 11(5):4522-4530, Sep. 2020.
- A. M. Alonso, F. J. Nogales and C. Ruiz. A Single Scalable LSTM Model for Short-Term Forecasting of Massive Electricity Time Series. Energies, 13, 5328, 2020.
- A. J. Conejo and C. Ruiz. Complementarity, not Optimization, is the Language of Markets. IEEE Open Access Journal of Power and Energy. 7:344-353, November 2020.
- F. S. Oliveira and C. Ruiz. Analysis of futures and spot electricity markets under risk aversion. European Journal of Operational Research, 291(3):1132-1148, June 2021.
- A. Getaneh, R. Riccardi and C. Ruiz. Contracts in Electricity Markets under EU ETS: A Stochastic Programming Approach. Energy Economics. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2021.105309. 2021
- Pérez-Santalla, R., Carrión, M. and C. Ruiz. Optimal pricing for electricity retailers based on data-driven consumers' price-response. TOP. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11750-022-00622-8. Feb 2022.
- González-Gómez, P.A., Gómez-Hernández, J., Ruiz, C. and D. Santana Can solar tower plants withstand the operational flexibility of combined cycle plants? Applied Energy. 314(2022): 1-19, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2022.118951. March 2022.
- Alonso, A.M., Martín, E., Mateo, A., Nogales, F.J., Ruiz, C., and A. Veiga Clustering Electricity Consumers: Challenges and Applications for Operating Smart Grids IEEE Power and Energy Magazine. 20(3): 54-63. April 2022.
- Getaneh Abate, A., Riccardi, R., and C. Ruiz, Contract design in electricity markets with high penetration of renewables: A two-stage approach Omega. 111(2022): 1-17. April 2022.
- Falbo, P., & Ruiz, C. (2021). Joint optimization of sales-mix and generation plan for a large electricity producer. arXiv preprint arXiv:2110.02016.
- Corredera, A., & Ruiz Mora, C. (2021). Prescriptive selection of machine learning hyperparameters with applications in power markets: retailer's optimal trading. e-archivo.uc3m.es
- Abate, A. G., Riccardi, R., & Ruiz, C. (2021). Retailer-consumers model in electricity market under demand response. arXiv preprint arXiv:2105.03405.
- Alcántara, A. & Ruiz, C. (2022). Optimal day-ahead offering strategy for large producers based on market price response learning. e-archivo.uc3m.es.
- Alcántara, A. & Ruiz, C. (2022). On data-driven chance constraint learning for mixed-integer optimization problems. e-archivo.uc3m.es.
You can download my CV here:
These are just some links to software that I use for my research, sites to download energy-related data or other interesting things.
- The combination of Julia and the Algebraic Modeling Language (AML) JuMP provides a powerful tool to formulate and solve optimization problems.
- I also use Python for data analysis together with Pyomo, another AML alternative.
- Open source solvers for linear (GLPK) and nonlinear programming (IPOPT).
- As a code editor I generally work with Jupyter (with both Julia and Python) and Sublime Text for more specialized tasks.
- Data for the Iberian electricity system: ESIOS
- Data for the Spanish electricity market: OMIE
- Data for NREL: NREL
- Data for the pan-European electricity market (ENTSOE)
- Open power system data platform (OPSD)
- European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF)
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Avda. de la Universidad 30