Carlos Ruiz, Profesor Titular (Associate Professor) at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M), Department of Statistics. He received his B.S. in Industrial Engineering (2007) from the Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha and his PhD in Electrical Engineering from the Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (2012) under the supervision of Professor Antonio J. Conejo. He has been a postdoctoral researcher at Supélec and École Centrale (Paris, France) and at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (2013-2014). He has published over 20 papers in JCR journals and presented his work in several international conferences such as INFORMS or ISMP.
My research interest includes almost everything that may lie in the intersection of Operations Research, Analytics and Energy Systems. The main mathematical and OR tools that I am using or developing include:
- Single and multi-objective programming problems. Linear, nonlinear and mixed-integer.
- Robust optimization.
- Stochastic programming.
- Inverse optimization.
- Multi-stage optimization problems. Bilevel, trilevel, etc.
- Duality and complementarity modeling.
- Agent based models.
- Inverse optimization.
- ARIMA, Regression, SVM and clustering models.
The main energy systems' topics that are being addressed by using these mathematical tools are:
- Modeling and characterization of oligopolistic behaviors in the electricity market.
- Generation capacity expansion planning.
- Transmission expansion planning of the electricity network.
- Pricing non-convexities in the electricity market.
- Supply chain coordination within the electricity industry.
- Integration and operation of Smart grid technologies.
- Reliability of transmission and distribution systems.
- Demand load, renewable and price forecasting in energy systems.
- S. A. Gabriel, A. J. Conejo, J. D. Fuller, B. Hobbs and C. Ruiz, Complementarity Modeling in Energy Markets, International Series in Operations Research and Management Science, Springer, 2013.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo, and R García-Bertrand. Some analytical results pertaining to Cournot models for short-term electricity markets. Electric Power Systems Research, 78(10):1672-1678, Oct. 2008.
- C. Ruiz and A. J. Conejo. Pool strategy of a producer with endogenous formation of locational marginal prices. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems , 24(4):1855-1866, Nov. 2009.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo, and R. Arcos. Some analytical results on conjectural variation models for short-term electricity markets. IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, 4(2):257-267, Feb. 2010.
- S. J. Kazempour, A. J. Conejo, and C. Ruiz. Strategic generation investment using a complementarity approach. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 26(2):940-948, May. 2011.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo and S. J. Kazempour. Equilibria in futures and spot electricity markets. Electric Power Systems Research, 84(1):1-9, March 2012.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo and Y. Smeers. Equilibria in an oligopolistic electricity pool with stepwise offer curves. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(2):752-761, May 2012.
- S. J. Kazempour, A. J. Conejo, and C. Ruiz. Strategic generation investment considering futures and spot markets. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(3):1467-1476, Aug. 2012.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo and S. A. Gabriel. Pricing non-convexities in an electricity pool. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(3):1334-1342, Aug. 2012.
- S. A. Gabriel, S. Siddiqui, A. J. Conejo and C. Ruiz. Solving discretely-constrained Nash-Cournot games with an application to power markets. Networks and Spatial Economics, 13(3):307-326, Sept. 2013.
- S. A. Gabriel, A. J. Conejo, C. Ruiz and S. Siddiqui. Solving discretely-constrained, mixed-linear complementarity problems with applications in energy. Computers and Operations Research, 40(5):1339-1350, May 2013.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo and D. J. Bertsimas. Revealing rival offer prices via inverse optimization. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 28(3):3056-3064, Aug. 2013.
- S. J. Kazempour, A. J. Conejo and C. Ruiz. Generation investment equilibria with strategic producers – Part I. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 28(3):2613-2622, Aug. 2013.
- S. J. Kazempour, A. J. Conejo and C. Ruiz. Generation investment equilibria with strategic producers – Part II. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 28(3):2623-2631, Aug. 2013.
- F. Oliveira, C. Ruiz and A. J. Conejo. Contract design and supply chain coordination in the electricity industry. European Journal of Operational Research, 227(3):527–537, Jun. 2013.
- E. Kuznetsova, Y. Li, C. Ruiz, E. Zio, K. Bell and G. Ault. Reinforcement learning for microgrid energy management. Energy. 59(2013):133-146, Jul. 2013.
- C. Ruiz, A. J. Conejo, J. D. Fuller, S. A. Gabriel and B. F. Hobbs. A tutorial review of complementarity models for decision making in energy markets. EURO Journal on Decision Processes, 2(1):91-120, Jun. 2014.
- E. Kuznetsova, Y. Li, C. Ruiz, E. Zio. An integrated framework of agent-based modelling and robust optimization for microgrid energy management. Applied Energy, 129:70-88, Sep. 2014.
- R. Mena, M. Hennebel, Y. Li, C. Ruiz, E. Zio. A Risk-Based Simulation and Multi-Objective Optimization Framework for the Integration of Distributed Renewable Generation and Storage. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 37(2014): 778–793.
- J. Kazempour, C. Ruiz and A. J. Conejo. Strategic Bidding for a Large Consumer. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 30(2):848-856, March 2015.
- E. Kuznetsova, C. Ruiz, Y.-F. Li, and E. Zio. Analysis of robust optimization for decentralized microgrid energy management under uncertainty. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 64(2015): 815-832. Jan. 2015.
- C. Ruiz and A. J. Conejo. Robust Transmission Expansion Planning. European Journal of Operational Research, 242(2015): 390-401.
- E. Allevi, A. J. Conejo, G. Oggioni, R. Riccardi, and C. Ruiz. Evaluating the strategic behavior of cement producers: An equilibrium problem with equilibrium constraints. European Journal of Operational Research, 264(2): 717-731, Jan. 2018.
- C. Ruiz, F. J. Nogales and F. J. Prieto. Retail Equilibrium with Switching Consumers in Electricity Markets. Networks and Spatial Economics. 18(1):145-180, March 2018.
- P. Falbo and C. Ruiz. Optimal sales-mix and generation plan in a two-stage electricity market. Energy Economics. 78(2019):598-814, Jan. 2019.
- A. Naebi, S. SeyedShenava, J. Contreras, C. Ruiz and A. Akbarimajd. EPEC approach for finding optimal day-ahead bidding strategy equilibria of multi-microgrids in active distribution networks. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 17(2020): 1-14. May 2020.
- A. M. Alonso, F. J. Nogales and C. Ruiz. Hierarchical Clustering for Smart Meter Electricity Loads Based on Quantile Autocovariances. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 11(5):4522-4530, Sep. 2020.
- F. S. Oliveira and C. Ruiz. Analysis of futures and spot electricity markets under risk aversion. European Journal of Operational Research, 1-17, 2020.
- A. M. Alonso, F. J. Nogales and C. Ruiz. A Single Scalable LSTM Model for Short-Term Forecasting of Massive Electricity Time Series. Energies, 13, 5328, 2020.
- A. J. Conejo and C. Ruiz. Complementarity, not Optimization, is the Language of Markets. IEEE Open Access Journal of Power and Energy. 7:344-353, November 2020.
You can download my CV here:
These are just some links to software that I use for my research, sites to download energy-related data or other interesting things.
- The combination of Julia and the Algebraic Modeling Language (AML) JuMP provides a powerful tool to formulate and solve optimization problems.
- I also use Python for data analysis together with Pyomo, another AML alternative.
- Open source solvers for linear (GLPK) and nonlinear programming (IPOPT).
- As a code editor I generally work with Jupyter (with both Julia and Python) and Sublime Text for more specialized tasks.
- Data for the Iberian electricity system: ESIOS
- Data for the Spanish electricity market: OMIE
- Data for NREL: NREL
- Data for the pan-European electricity market (ENTSOE)
- Open power system data platform (OPSD)
- European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF)
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Avda. de la Universidad 30